WBD-Portsmouth

About Us

Western Branch Diesel has been owned and operated by the Haneman family since opening in 1946. The company culture of unwavering commitment to customer satisfaction has built our reputation as a service provider and business partner of the highest standard.

Initially working from a small waterfront shop in Portsmouth, Virginia, today we operate out of 9 branches strategically located throughout Virginia, West Virginia, Ohio, Kentucky and North Carolina, employing more than 280 team members including over 150 technicians.

Staff

staffGet to know our amiable staff, one person at a time.

Affiliates

Links to our brands, affiliates and child companies.

History

Western Branch Diesel was founded in 1946 by Herb Hanamen, Sr. as a marine service facility in Portsmouth, Virginia. It was strategically located at the mouth of the western branch of the Elizabeth River to serve local tug and marine vessels.

Awarded the Detroit Diesel distributorship for Virginia in 1952, over the years WBD locations were established in Richmond, Springfield & Roanoke, VA. In 1987, Western Branch Diesel acquired Ray C. Call Detroit Diesel/Allison, Inc., which expanded our market to include Southwest Virginia, West Virginia, and portions of Ohio, Kentucky, & Maryland.

Mission

Western Branch Diesel serves users of Detroit, MTU and all other diesel engines.  We also perform service on Allison Transmissions and all related equipment in the most professional manner possible with our highly trained staff – while maintaining our integrity and providing the most cost effective and comprehensive solutions for our customers. Above all, we strive to improve the lives of our employees, business partners and the communities in which we live and work.

Philosophy

WBD is correctly positioned to be a first class service provider. We are big enough to serve our customers well…yet remain small enough to know our customers individually and personally.
We must first earn our customers’ trust before we can ever earn their business.